Adventures Abroad

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

London

First off, I'd like to voice my disdain for the layout of Apple laptop keyboards. The shift and enter keys are entirely too small and further than my pinky fingers can comfortably reach.

Now, for a post:

This is the end of my third day in London, it's been a great trip so far.

My flights were as smooth and eventless as I could've wanted, really. No missed/delayed connections, or lost luggage, and though I had more than my share of screaming babies in a one-row radius, I also got a cool personal tv on which I got to choose from a tonne of movies and tv shows to watch. And for the Toronto->London leg, I sat beside a really pleasant highschool aged boy from Newfoundland. He helped me find the headphone outlet, and I grabbed his breakfast for him while he slept through the meal. It was a lovely relationship.



Arriving in London at 9am, Rob and I went to find our hostel (where we stayed for our first night), and after a few wrong stops (why did I leave Rob in charge of accomodation?), we finally arrived. I promptly had a nap, despite my plan to stay awake through the day. Once we were up moving again, we went and wandered around the city doing free things, something we've continued since then. When you're dropping about $12-16 Canadian for day passes for public transit, free attractions is about all we can do. Luckily there are tonnes of options in London.

Charlotte, Rob's youngest sister, joined us in the city today, and we're dropping her back off at the coach station tomorrow afternoon. She's awesome, and it was great to get to hang out with her again.

Things we've been up to:

-Hung out and read/relaxed/picnicked in three totally gorgeous parks: Regent, Hyde and Russell Square


(It was adorable watching these parents teaching their little boy to ride a bike - this is in Regent Park)

-Wandered through the British Museum

-Checked out the new and giant football (soccer) stadium - Wembley



-Spent hours in Camden Market (absolutely awesome.... )


-Went into St. Paul's Cathedral, noting how few clergymen, but how many soldiers were buried and honoured there.

-Renewed a serious love affair for this city. I *heart* London!

Yesterday evening we took a 25 minute commuter train to Hatfield (north of London by St. Albans), where Rob's friend Russell lives/goes to uni. He was nice enough to let Rob and I stay here last night, and have Charlotte join us tonight.

Tomorrow, we're heading to the Imperial War Museum (also free.... woohoo!), then hopefully connecting with Sophie, a girl we met in Budapest last summer. Hopefully the connection will work out. And earrrrly on Thursday morning, we fly to Fez!

9 Comments:

  • to be quite honest, i'm not sure i'm a big fan of those sunglasses, rob. they're too chachi for you.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/10/2007 6:11 PM  

  • that was sarah, sorry.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/10/2007 6:12 PM  

  • you're alive!! and thanks for the update... glad to hear you're having a good time :)

    By Blogger Unknown, at 4/10/2007 7:41 PM  

  • Super fun. If you can fit a british boy in that lamp next to the moroccan that would be super.

    By Blogger Carolyn Marshall, at 4/10/2007 9:30 PM  

  • hey traveller! sounds like an awesome time. its weird being on the reading-only end of the blog! a tad jealous that your "visited country" list is growing bigger than mine!

    By Blogger dani, at 4/11/2007 10:32 AM  

  • same here - glad to hear you're having fun and have arrived there all safe and stuff!
    hope everything continues to go well!
    tomorrow is ACF (wish you could be there!) and Canucks playoff action starts tonight!!!
    not that these things are better than what you're doing, but at least I can have a little excitement over here too ;)
    say hi to Rob for me!

    By Blogger Claudizzle, at 4/11/2007 3:45 PM  

  • Wow, I'm always so impressed that you actually post. I would think you would be too busy gazing into Rob's eyes...or sleeping. haha. Thanks though! It's really fun to live vicariously through you!

    By Blogger Katie, at 4/12/2007 7:03 AM  

  • your blog updatey-ness blows.

    check your email.

    ~dev

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/13/2007 11:12 PM  

  • They must not have the internet in Morocco. :P

    By Blogger Carolyn Marshall, at 4/14/2007 8:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home